About the ORSS
The Operational Research Society of Singapore (ORSS)
was registered as a professional association on 21st November, 1975.
The society was formed in response to the need for such an association to
promote the field of Operational Research in Singapore.
The objectives of the society are
- to propagate the knowledge of Operational Research in Singapore.
- to promote the use of Operational Research techniques in industry,
commerce and public administration.
- to foster, in the broadest sense, training and education in Operations
- to promote the exchange of information and co-operation through its
association with kindred societies.
- to contribute to the development of Operational Research in general.
- to promote theoretical and applied research in Operational Research.
- Ordinary Member:
- Any person who is a practitioner or has professional training in the
field of Operational Research may apply for ordinary membership.
- Associate Member:
- Any person who has an interest in Operational Research may apply for
associate membership. Associate members are not eligible to stand for election.
- Students Member:
- Students of tertiary institutions who have an interest in Operational
Research may apply for student membership. Student members are not eligible
to stand for election.
- Corporate Member:
- Companies or representative of firms or unincorporated bodies may apply
for corporate membership.
Membership fees (w.e.f 1st May 1998):
Categories Entrance Fee S$ Annual Subscription S$
Ordinary 10 50
Associate 10 50
Student - 10
Corporate - 250 (5 Nominees)
Life - 500
The entrance fee and subscription shall accompany each membership
application form, and shall not be refundable except when an application is
Admission to membership:
- Any person desiring to becoming a member of the society shall make
an application to the Management Committee.
- If any firm, organization or other unincorporated body should wish
to obtain the advantages of membership, it shall nominate one of its members
to act as its representative, to apply in its name for membership and to
sign the application form as its representative and exercise rights of
membership on its behalf.
Members of the society are entitled to the following privileges:
- reduced fees for conferences, seminars and courses organized by the society
- discounted subscription rates to the society's publications
- opportunity to meet fellow Operational Research practitioners
Some of the previous activities:
- Courses on OR/MS techniques
- Technical talks by distinguished overseas speakers.
- Annual conferences and seminars.
- Software Demonstrations.
Through its membership of the International Federation of Operational
Research Societies (IFORS) the society brings its members into contact with
global O.R. activities.
Wherever possible, joint meetings and publication with other kindred
societies of mutal or related interests are held or published. These include
a wide range of disciplines and fields of specialization eg. Industrial
and Systems Engineering, Management Science, Applied System Analysis, Applied
Mathematics and Statistics etc.
Operational Research Society of Singapore
396 Pasir Panjang Road
Pasir Panjang Post Office
PO Box 1044
The Constitution of the Operational Research Society
is available in PDF format.
Back To ORSS Info